Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Friday, November 11, 2011

Eulogy

Eulogy from Greek. eulogia "praise; good or fine language," to "speak well of."



I attended a funeral yesterday, in fact was a pallbearer of a very dear friend. This man was more than a friend, he was a father, a mentor, an example of a 'good' Christian man, father, husband and grandfather. He has been in my life for 25 plus years and has taken on these roles willingly and consensually. He has challenged me, spoke words of wisdom and exhortation, he has coaxed me and coached me and I will admit there were times when I did not like what he said to me. He spoke the tough words into my life and for that I will always be grateful, because he spoke from the love he felt for me and that love was never lost in the words, no matter how hard they were to hear. I know he loved me. He was always kind and forgiving. It was in those words that his love was communicated. It was in those words that he was a father. In those words were reflected his kindness and his forgiveness.
He was konwn to be controversial and antagonistic and it was a well practiced bent, but he would say to you at the end of a conversation, "if we both agree all the time, one of us does not have to be here."

He would probably not be pleased that I am putting this into words. We both agreed that 'putting flowers on graves' was a waste and we meant that eulogizing after a man was dead was wasted, a compliment or words of praise and encouragement are best spent on the living. It should be understood that these words are not for him, but for me.

Flowers will wilt and fade, as will memories, but words are never lost. His family and friends will have his words, they were many, they were profound, they were sometimes curt, but they always communicated his love.

I sorrow not because he has died, but because I have lost his presence in my life. He is in heaven, where his desire to be these last few years has heightened.

I have his words, his legacy.

No comments: