Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Monday, June 27, 2011

This is a picture of my motorcycle and perhaps my favorite modification. You will notice the three-crosses built into the Chrome Air Filter Cover.

The three-crosses of course have significance in Christian Theology. Alot of people, regardless of their theological bent, have strong feelings towards the Cross. I believe many do not even understand Why?


For me their are a number of reasons for the introduction of this modification to my bike.

First, it makes a statement, for some it will be offensive, others will find it affirming and still others will question. As with the Cross throughout history, everyone will have an opinion, a response, and such is the mystery and import of this symbol. 

Some would argue that the symbols of my Christian faith should be left for the Church to display, lest I bring shame or disgrace to those Scared symbols or to the Church by affiliation.

The Crosses have significance for me because, first; they have been emptied, which means, obviously death, but more importantly a resurrection. Death is not final, we are all born with an eternal option.

Second, of the greatest importance, the Cross is the path of salvation, the only Way of attaining eternal life.
This is symbolized by the center Cross, the one upon which Jesus Christ, God's Son hung and died for my sins.

Thirdly, there is represented the choice of man to accept that salvation or reject it. There were two thieves crucified that day with Jesus. one which recognized and received God's offering of salvation and one to whom the events of this tragic day of which he was apart failed to grasp fully the meaning and subsequently rejected the salvation of God.

Each and every person has that same choice. You cannot avoid the cross of your choosing, for one will lead to eternal life and one will lead to eternal death. The crosses on each side of center are a stark reminder of that choice.

Thirdly, the road we choose as men to walk upon in this life has a focal point. It must be centered upon a goal. I love the analogy of traveling on a highway. Broad is the path that leads to destruction, narrow is the path leads to eternal life. That center cross is to be our focus, it is in essence our cross, for by it we are justified in the sight of God to be worthy of His redemption.

I can't remember who said it, (I think Tozer) but, the significance of a man on a cross is this:

1) He is facing only one direction;
2) He no longer has any plans of his own;
3) He is not going back.

In openly displaying my beliefs I face ridicule and acceptance, I may bring shame or pride to my faith, people may be ambivalent or malevolent, but no one will be without an answer to whatever feeling arises.

In saying that I am stating that they will make a decision, right at that moment of viewing, regarding their choice. 

My hope is only that the thoughts that will come will be tempered by the Grace of God to consider their lives and perhaps to ask about mine and be persuaded to think about what the future holds.

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,

the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary.


In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me.


To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,

till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

No comments: