Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Monday, January 03, 2011

‘NEC TENUI PENNA’

Nec tenui ferar penna – 'On no feeble wing shall I be borne'
The motto means, literally, “nor on weak wing”


A more scholarly tradition identifies it as a fragment from an ode by the Latin poet Horace, the first two lines of which translate:

“On neither weak nor vulgar wing shall I be borne through liquid air.”


Psalm 105:37, "He (God) also brought them out with silver and gold; and there was none feeble among His tribes."

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"

If I am weak I want strength; when I am hungry I want to eat; when I thirst I desire drink; if I am cold I pine for warmth; as I am impoverished I crave abundance; in whatever state I am in there lies opportunity for a 'need' to arise. There nothing distinguished in admitting to or giving in to 'needs',  'wants' and lusts.

There are really only three forms of sin, "For all that is in the world -- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life --..." These constitute what the world offers, physical pleasures, possessions, power and authority and autonomy. These in and of themselves are not inherently evil, they only become so when they serve the only purpose of our existence. When needs become addictions: when wants become compulsions; when passion is overridden by lust and covetousness; these are the battles of the heart, this is where the truly feeble die.

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"

Many believe that the Christian life is comprised of crutches; an ability via faith in an omnipotent, omniscient, sovereign Deity to assuage our fears; to empower us to withstand adversity and sacrifice; to enable the weak and oppressed to 'make sense' and find 'purpose'; to placate the internal drives and desires of man to influence and control by 'letting God be God'; to appease our inherent desires and subjugate them to the realm of holy living; to quell our unfulfilled dreams and aspirations bringing them into line with doctrines of God's sovereignty and grace and all resources to make possible these crutches are adequately supplied.

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"


Nec tenui ferar penna – 'On no feeble wing shall I be borne'
Isaiah 40:31, "... but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."
Our understanding of God's power is limited by our language, knowledge and physical experience on Earth.

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"


Hebrews 12:5,6, "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives."

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"

Isaiah 30:18, "Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you; and therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you. For the Lord is a God of justice; Blessed are those who wait for Him."

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"


Hebrews 12:12,13, "Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed."

"... Lord God, what will you give me, ...(?)"



Hebrews 13:5, "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have."

No comments: