Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

My Soul

If the soul is immortal, it demands our care not only for that part of time which we call life, but for all time; and indeed it would seem now (in this life, while it is yet today) that it will be extremely dangerous to neglect it. If death were a release from everything, it would be a boon for the wicked, because by dying they would be released not only from the body but also from their own wickedness together with the soul; but as it is, since the soul has emerged as something immortal, it can have no escape or security from evil except by becoming as good and wise as it possibly can. Socrates


As the argument goes, that there are Christians who are not Christians, there are people who have an understanding of God, wisdom, righteousness, holiness, and good apart from those who proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord the preceding quote would seem to support. It would seem that a knowledge of God is not reserved for only those who have read the Bible or have moved through the Church Registry or had a sense of their own finitude, mortality and ... However ...

Psalm 19:7, "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; ..."
Psalm 23:3, "He (God) restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake."
Psalm 16:2, "I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; My goodness is nothing apart from You."

The great malady of the ...ieth century, implicated in all of our troubles and affecting us individually and socially, is "loss of soul." When soul is neglected, it doesn't just go away; it appears symptomatically in obsessions, addictions, violence, and loss of meaning. Our temptation is to isolate these symptoms or to try to eradicate them, one by one; but the root problem is that we have lost our wisdom about the soul, even our interest in it. …It is impossible to define precisely what the soul is. Definition is an intellectual enterprise anyway; the soul prefers to imagine. We know intuitively that soul has to do with genuineness and depth, as when we say certain music has soul or a remarkable person is soulful. When you look closely at the image of soulfulness, you see that it is tied to life in all its particulars — good food, satisfying conversation, genuine friends, and experiences that stay in the memory and touch the heart. Soul is revealed in attachment, love, and community, as well as in retreat on behalf of inner communing and intimacy... Tradition teaches that soul lies midway between understanding and  unconsciousness, and that its instrument is neither the mind nor the body, but imagination...Fulfilling work, rewarding relationships, personal power, and relief from symptoms are all gifts of the soul. They are particularly elusive in our time because we don't believe in the soul and therefore give it no place in our hierarchy of values. We have come to know soul only in its complaints: when it stirs, disturbed by neglect and abuse, and causes us to feel its pain. Thomas Moore

Luke 12:19,20, "And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat , drink and be merry." 'But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'
"What if Earth

Be but the shadow of Heaven, and things therein
Each to the other like more than on earth is thought? " Milton



Our souls do not feed on our goods. Worldly advantages will not provide spiritual consolations, nor placate the symptoms of a starving soul. Happiness, comfort, satisfaction are products of the sensual appetite being sated. Pride, idleness and luxury are enemies of the soul and separate mortal from immortal.
Life, like a dome of many-colored glass,

Stains the white radiance of eternity.'' P.B. Shelly

Psalm 43:5, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me?
Micah 6:8, "He (God) has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does God require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"


Life gives us a soul, "Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;"
"Come you indoors, come home; your fading fire
Mend first and vital candle in close heart's vault;
You there are master, do your own desire; What hinders?"

The employment of our soul is the seeking of God and being found by Him."Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."

Psalm 63:1, 42:1,4, 57:1, 62:5 
O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek you;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You...
As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When I remember these things,
I pour out my soul within me.
Be merciful to me, O God,
Be merciful to me!
For my soul trusts in You.
My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
In the shadow of Your wings
I will make my refuge.

No comments: