Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Problem with Writing

Writing is an activity that I enjoy.
It really isn't the writing so much as the communication and permanence of conceived thoughts being recorded for some narcissistic and egotistic purpose.
Posterity rocks!
Inflation affects everyone!


I haven't written for some time now. I am still reading, thinking (for what it's worth), creating volumes of material in my mind, however, I have not been sitting down and recording my thoughts. My imagination is still flourishing, ideas and the forms of blogs are still being developed in my mind, they have just not been carried to the keyboard for the sake of permanence.

I have heard it said of Elton John that if he could not put Bernie's lyrics to music within a time-frame of 20 minutes, he would throw away whatever music he had composed till that moment and move on. In the interview, which I vaguely remember, the question was asked about regret and any sense of loss for what was destroyed, I don't remember Elton's exact words, but the intent was that there was no regret, what was lost was never thought of again. Many would struggle with that kind of mentality. Many reflecting on the potential of what was lost would be traumatized or immobilized with grief.

I vacillate between the two poles of thought, regretting that I am not more diligent and disciplined in putting my thoughts and meanderings into this blog, knowing that those uncaptured ideas may never be available again and understanding the creative process which was involved by relaxing and allowing what is working in me to remain and hopefully unfold in a later revelation. After all I do not underestimate the brains ability to store and retain information, I struggle with my brain's ability to recall that information.

There has to be a relationship between who I am and what I do. These things that I do are just that, the things that I do; they are not who I am, they are products of who I am; they are the asides to my activity. Although memory performs a role in who we are, there exists opportunity for recollection to be changed, for the operative aspects of our cognitive memory to be reprogrammed.

My inherent default setting is to regret, to bemoan the things that are lost, to grieve for posterity. For me, to have thoughts and not write, requires as much, if not more discipline than writing. I have been able to rewrite my default setting, it is not a passive action as in laziness, it is in acceptance of the provisions of God. It stems from Jesus' words on the cross where He said, "It is finished", not, "I am finished". It stems from Philippians 1:6, "... being confident ... that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it...".

This life I live in faith and that is the key word, faith, is enabled because of what I believe about God. My faith in God has resulted in confidence, assurance, peace of mind and heart and hope. This does not mean that pervasive doubts do not crowd out or seek to derail my faith, it simply means that consciously I must return, remember, recall the wondrous blessings God has given me in this life. It is in those moments that I can quell the angst of regret, the anxiety of remorse, the pain from pity.

This thought process is not reserved for the creative geniuses of this world but is available for all.
2 Timothy 2:13, "If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself."

We have our character formed by memory. We have in this life a series of chronological events, undetermined and random, affecting how our character is shaped and how we react to life's variables. What God does is to intersect or better stated, intervene, creating new forms of perception based on a revised set of memories. To build upon the analogy previous, there is music that was written, however, the tones and notes may possibly be used again in new context, new music rewritten. The chronological record of our life; our memory; is superseded by the permanent memory of God's faithfulness.
God is faithful beyond your wildest dreams and aspirations, Allow God the opportunity to imprint upon your heart and mind His wondrous grace.
Psalm 89; "With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations ... Your faithfulness You established in the very heavens ... Your faithfulness surrounds You ... Your faithfulness will not fail ... You are my Father, My God, and the Rock of my salvation ... Blessed be the Lord forevermore!

No comments: