Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Monday, May 24, 2010

"Ye Stand in the Faith", Firm and Stable; or in the Grace of Faith"

1 Cor 3:13-15 "... each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."

There is a warning and a promise in these words.


The warning speaks of the eventual exposure of errors in doctrine, the trying of teaching when exposed to the test of daylight, the purging of fire upon a man's inconsistency, irregularity, and deformity. This is explained by some as the Bema judgement. As words go there must exist a definition of 'Bema". Bema means among other things the "the space which a foot covers, a 'foot-breadth', by inference the place where a man stands. We are all wounded, scarred, marred and disfunctional, we each stand upon the ground formed by parents, friends, peer-groups, culture, community; our foot-breadth, our foot-print of life, and we exist, we live, we love, we move and in all this God is preeminent. This is what makes God, God.

Only God will judge!

2 Cor. 13:5 "Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified."


Galatians 6:4 "But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another."


Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Living an obstinant and impenitent life in opposition to teaching and doctrine is blatant rebellion.
Living life with the disabling and enabling effects of relationships, circumstances and understanding are another issue.
“The past is our definition. we may strive, with good reason, to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it.” Wendell Berry
I do not walk in your shoes, nor do I want to. However, I will walk beside you, I will walk in front of you, holding down the grass and making a path, or behind you, following your leading and supporting you in your climb. I will not judge you. I will affirm, I will converse, I will try to understand, I may even disagree, but, I am always aware that I am not where you stand and I do not know what the journey to 'here' has cost you. I may know 'of' your pains and your joys, but I do not know how that has affected your heart, your life, your journey. I have not spent a moment in your shoes, nor have you shared my insoles. What you know of me has been what I have revealed to you. “What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father.” Friedrich Nietzsche

You and I must prove our own temper, our own conduct, our own experience, action and reaction. The question must be asked and answered by our own soul response to Jesus Christ.

The promise is the salvation of our souls, tested by fire perhaps, irregardless, I am saved. You may question my theology (I welcome that) but I, like many others, trust my salvation to none other than Jesus Christ.
I do not want to be baptized by the fire of your judgement, contempt or condemnation. No man can stand against that level of critical discernment and sagacity. The catch 22 lies in the fact that the first time I concede to another man's (woman's) judgement I become a slave to future prejudices and discriminations regarding my faith and life. Where is the grace?

I do not despise preaching, teaching, prophesizing, friends speaking into my life, comrades-in-arms warring beside me, nor companions shouldering part of my load, however, please do not confuse weakness with need, nor affirmation with condescension.

All who would speak into your life are not necessary; abstain from sin and whatever looks like sin, leads to sin or borders upon sin.
Be wary of those who call you out, who want to chastise, correct and circumcise.

"He has shown you, O man, what is good: and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

No comments: