Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Thought


A thought happens or occurs in the mind of a man. Is it new?


Thoughts or thinking allow men the ability to model and comprehend the world and to deal with it according to their objectives, plans, ends and desires. The cognitive ability which makes thinking possible is the defining aspect of man. Descartes said, "Cogito ergo sum: I think, therefore I am; or I am thinking, therefore I exist."




Existence is somehow tied to the cognizance of my surroundings. Existence is more than working, eating, sleeping, it involves purpose beyond the normal functions of maintaining my body's operations of procreation and excretion.Eccles. 2:24-26, "Nothing is better for a man than that he should eat and drink, and that his soul should enjoy good in his labor. This also, I saw, was from the hand of God. For who can eat, or who can have enjoyment, more than I? For God gives wisdom and knowledge and joy to a man who is good in His sight; but to the sinner He gives the work of gathering and collecting, that he may give to him who is good before God. This also is vanity and grasping for the wind."

Existence is about creating significance and it is only a reality by my thoughts, by my ability to think and discern. What a remarkable concept of human existence. It becomes rather mind-blowing that I have the capacity to change and impact my existence and that of those around me simply because I have a rational ability to think beyond the immediate situations and circumstances of life and imagine a different life. To add to that I have the proficiency to think out the steps and processes which will help me achieve those ends. The ability to think adaptively through life's snags and traps, recognize opportunity and hopefully by wisdom achieve the goal. Eccles. 2:12-16, "Then I turned myself to consider wisdom and madness and folly; ... Then I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. Yet I myself perceived that the same event happens to them all. So I said in my heart, "As it happens to the fool, it also happens to me, and why was I then more wise?" Then I said in my heart, "This also is vanity." For there is no more remembrance of the wise than of the fool forever, since all that now is will be forgotten in the days to come. And how does a wise man die? As the fool!" The thought process also anticipates inevitable outcomes, the things of life from which there is no escape. Thinking can bring about despair or the realization of hope, it is not adverse to either option, for the thoughts of man are infiltrated and saturated by an excessive barrage of media engineered to create a direct reponse and messaging subliminal in nature derived from the cues and inuendo of our culture.

The process by which thought creation occurs and the sequence of events which have happened can be over emphasized, in other words we have a tendency to think too much, we complicate matters with the capacity to discern probable outcomes and arguments of reason and we loose the simplicity which is a prevalent aspect of life. Basically the preponderance of ponderance destroys the joys and peace which are important to life. The lose of innocence outweighs by far the understanding of every nuance of every reason for my existence. Eccles. 2:17-21. "Therefore I hated life because the work that was done under the sun was distressing to me, for all is vanity and grasping for the wind. Then I hated all my labor in which I had toiled under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who will come after me. And who knows whether he will be wise or a fool? Yet he will rule over all my labor in which I toiled and in which I have shown myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity. Therefore I turned my heart and despaired of all the labor in which I had toiled under the sun. For there is a man whose labor is with wisdom, knowledge, and skill; yet he must leave his heritage to a man who has not labored for it. This also is vanity and a great evil." Job 7:1 "Is there not a warfare to miserable man on earth?" "Is not the life of man a place of trial upon earth?" Psalm 90:10, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; if by reason of strength, they be fourscore years, yet their pride is labour and vanity, for it is soon cut off..."
Our years, like our thoughts, can no more be recalled than the words we have spoken. These thoughts, these dreams, the envisionings of future, the hopes and aspirations of a man will be lost and forgotten. We wish to breathe life into those around us, it is our desire to embed and carve into life of others the wisdom of what we have learned through experience and our having 'thought things out'.


Unless the Lord builds the house,
they labour in vain ...
Unless the Lord guards the city,
the keeper watches in vain ...

No comments: