Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life's Tragedy; Part 1


" The greatest tragedy of life is not that man dies but what dies in a man while he still lives."



At the end of the movie I,Robot there is a dialogue between Sonny the AI Robot and Dectective Spooner:

Sonny: Now that I have fulfilled my purpose, I don't know what to do.
Spooner: I guess you'll have to find your way like the rest of us, Sonny ... that's what it means to be free.

In philosophy, freedom often ties in with the question of free will. Jean-Jacques Rousseau asserted that the condition of freedom was inherent to humanity, an inevitable facet of the possession of a soul and sapience, [wisdom, or the ability of an organism or entity to act with appropriate judgment] with the implication that all social interactions subsequent to birth imply a loss of freedom, voluntarily or involuntarily. Rousseau made the famous quote "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
Other philosophers have argued that all human beings are always free — Jean-Paul Sartre, for instance, famously claimed that humans are "condemned to be free" — because they always have a choice.
These are not polarized thoughts, the theme, as I see it, is consistent with life and with the search for finding meaning and significance in life. We operate (freely) within the constraints of natural laws and reason. The condemnation of freedom and free-choice is the same freedom binding us in chains, it is implied that freedom doesn't exist in the realm of existential life. Choices necessitate the meriting of options and subsequently the narrowing of future possibilities at every juncture. Ultimate freedom is choice without consequence and unlimited opportunity regardless of decision.

Freedom means to subjugate all facets of human existence and bend them to the will of man. True freedom is freedom to create your own meaning and purpose, however with the determination of that meaning and purpose there comes an obligation to fulfill and conform. Freedom becomes slavery to that over-arching purpose and life is now limited by that objective. The discipline required to obtain a goal creates the mandate and strictures of governance which narrow the choices. Liberation is found in the defined choices which direct towards the objective.

We can never be truly free, at least free where liberty has no bounds. Every decision has a consequence. Every intent of my will allows for a subsequent series of events to occur from which I have no ability to change or deviate. Freedom allows for those choices, but they are not free. There will be a price to pay.

As I have reached a milestone in terms of years lived, I have been reflecting on where my life is now. I look back over the years and see the fruit of decisions made and the cost of others. Am I free? The answer ... is a question.

What has died in me while I yet draw breath? What is still alive? A sacrifice of my life has been a part of every decision that I have made. A part of my life has either been invigorated or cast aside with every choice. It was not as scary at the time as it has been in retrospect.

I have exercised my options in being a servant and/or slave to something. Jesus said you must serve either God or the things of this World.

Servitude to God seems narrow, restrictive, enslaving, or at least infantile in its assumptions of determining what I must believe and how I must act.
There is a part of me which cries out ... there's no room for me in that, ... that will be my death, ... I don't want to live for God, ... I want to live for my own sake, ... enjoy life for my own well-being, ... I don't want to have to sacrifice, ... I don't want to bear the price, absorb the cost ...

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat ..."

Well we know how that one turned out ... Freedom is the determination of truth, not a personal preference or a quality of truth, but the acceptance of a absolute truth. A truth which exists above human independence and limitation.

"If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

"Every person has to define right and wrong for themself."

No comments: