Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance


It seems that life is made up of maintenance. The vehicle needs maintenance, the camper needs maintenance, my children's cars need maintenance, the yard needs maintenance, the boat needs maintenance, (maybe I have to many things), the house needs maintenance, (2 Kings 12:5, "let the priests take it themselves, each from his constituency; and let them repair the damages of the temple, wherever any dilapidation is found.") relationships need maintenance, the computer needs maintenance, (I think there's a theme here) - I need maintenance.



It seems all I do is maintain. Fix and repair daily. 2 Chron. 6:39, " ... then hear from heaven Your dwelling place (my) prayer and (my) supplications, and maintain (my) cause, and forgive (me) Your people who have sinned against You.

All things seem to resolve themselves to some state of disrepair or dysfunction. At some given point in time all things need maintenance.



I have not been posting for some time now, (Please note computer needs maintenance) not that I am without options, I am currently posting on a resurrected computer from the basement, however the upcoming replacement of the main computer and the absolute lunacy of work this summer, (Ezra 9:9," For we were slaves. Yet our God did not forsake us in our bondage; but He extended mercy to us, ... to revive us, to repair ..., to rebuild ..., and to give us a wall ..."), has given me opportunity to excuse myself from part and parcel of who I am.

Everyday usage means that the physical make-up of any device, machine or person will deteriorate. The everyday abuse of the mental, emotional, spiritual and even physical body requires a time of replenishment, a restoration of the soul and mind and body without which the state of disrepair becomes so severe that repair is not an option. Breakdowns occur which can not be mended. It is nice to assume that I am so tough as to not need repair, that I can weather any storm, scale any heights and never neeed rest from the labours of life. Such is not the case.
Mark 6:31, "...and He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat."


Matthew 11:28-29, (Jesus said) "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."


The demands, the load, the labour, upon me have brought anger and mental anguish, my strength has been reduced, my resolve has been diminished to the point where the oppressiveness of the next step, the facing of the next maintenance need is more than what I can bear.


"Come to me ..." These words are fall of tender consideration. Jesus knows full well that men are flesh as well as spirit, and have bodies as well as souls. Jesus knows that at best I am a treasure in an earthen vessel, clay, and I am endowed with many infirmities. I understand that Jesus does not expect from me more than my physical strength allows, nor more than my emotional and spiritual fortitude can stand.He asks for what I can do, and not for what I cannot do. "Come ye apart," He says, "and rest awhile."

These words are full of deep wisdom. Jesus knows full well that I must attend to my own soul.
Being a Prairie-boy from Saskatchewan, I enjoy hiking the pastureland and coulees. This return to the things I did as a young boy, this return to the nature in which I was raised and which amused me in my boredom on the farm provides for the quieting of my soul, the rest, the intermission from labour, a refreshing of my spirit. As it is in nature, so it is in grace: after the storm comes a peaceful calm. Exodus 15:27, "Then they came to (a place in the desert) where there were twelve springs of water and seventy date palms, and they camped there beside the waters." Jesus is merciful and tender in His dealings with me. Amid the many disheartening events of the weeks and months before, He granted me this encouragement along the way.

No comments: