Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Borrowed Thoughts #4


... a new spin on "organized" religion.


Banding together is now about thwarting the Father. We don't join in the "Upper Room" with prayers, petitions, and praise because we adore him. We're scared shitless and sense that united we stand. We don't link because we like each other or enjoy similar interests - these things are incidental at best. Rather, it's in our blood to do what siblings do - we become a band of brothers (and sisters) because otherwise, "who will rescue me?"

It all fits: Religion as reassurance in the face of terror, Worship exercises aimed at sufficiently contorting enough to pacify a demanding Father, and a surrogate eldest brother as victim and hero. Throwing off the Father's death grip on us only to feel those hands close around him instead.

... against whom can I measure my strength? From whence does my next struggle come? Am I again forced to grudgingly grab the heel of my brother?

Religious activity is arranged by those of us most determined to prevent the power of God from taking hold. And this is not an indictment; ...


And those of us that keep roaming the outskirts of the city or plunging deeper into the wilderness? We're not wearing camel skin because of bravery ... I've believed myself a pioneer, wanderer, and hero.

But out here I don't really have to struggle.

It's so much easier.

I'm not wrestling anything.

I don't answer to anyone, and that doesn't make me miserable.

I don't have to tolerate anyone I don't like for very long, and I definitely have no periods where I'm forced to call someone brother.

Life is simpler, more manageable. I'm not joking. I really like it here.

Still, I miss the wrestling matches.

No comments: