Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Friday, April 24, 2009

Death; My Option


Perdition, absolute ruin comes to the soul only from the soul itself -- it arises from its own internal desires and motivations; only good comes from God and from God alone. Death is the great hindrance to, and the great deliverer from, the pursuit of all earthly desires that all lead to evil. Death is not a state, but an act; not a condition, but a passage. It is the re-birth of the soul. Death furnishes the catalyst to communion with God to receive the fullness of the blessings of that union. Death is a blight to the soul, through which light shines in the darkness.

As death looms in the loss of my loves, and the 'I, myself", I despair, not as one who as yet understands the loss and the grief, but as one who passively anticipates the correction of those imperfections and disorders that have their root and their strength in the spirit. "The reason is that all the imperfections and disorders of the sensual (human) part have their strength and root in the spirit, where all habits, both good and bad, are brought into subjection, and thus, until these are purged, the rebellions and depravities of sense cannot be purged thoroughly."

These loves are barriers, hedges around my heart, through which God will not force Himself to enter. In this I know that the darkness of death must have its cleansing work and in this I fear, not for the safety of my soul, ... but still I fear ... not the dread of my demise, ... but still I fear ... I don't even fear what I may lose, ... but still I fear ... I fear because I do not understand ... and in not understanding I cannot grasp the depth of the consequences of casting myself upon a Holy God ... but still I fear... even though "... there is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment ..." but still I fear ... because "... he who fears has not been made perfect in love".

'Perfect in love'; some men have neither love nor fear; others have fear without love; others have love and fear; and others have love without fear, but to be 'perfect in love' declares a state-of-being, a conscious acceptance that the love of God pervades life with its condescension to my well-being. In this we see Jesus as the first and the last example of confidence in and submission to God: He is the most complete model of faith and obedience that can be brought before us. Jesus modeled 'perfect love' in trusting by faith in the strength and wisdom of God through His death. I must have a right knowledge of the true love of Christ. John 15:9, "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love." This is the purpose served in Christ bidding us to continue in his love; because the right knowledge, and faith of that to the soul, disperses and drives away all the fogs and mists of darkness; the delusions of this world; and disciplines the heart and soul to endure the trials that remove the dross from our lives and those things which draw our heart away from God. The love of God should fix our eyes upon Him for "... of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace."

No comments: