Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Theology; Personal


Theology is for me the organized method of interpreting spiritual works and beliefs into a practical form, it is my talk about God. It is the avenue of question, interpretation and answer? attempting to determine a rational faith? The question is how is theology related to the concrete conditions of the world, or how is it implicated in personal life and human society. If theology is thought of as a container of ideas or a particular immutable ethic or set of values, then you can bracket theology off from its significance or value to everyday life. Theology provides an address to the soul.

This study of God, mine, involves His interaction with me, His decisions as a sovereign, omnipotent God in the context of my free-will (nothing in life is really free) and independent choices. Those free-will? independent choices are the issues of faith; the issues as a result of belief; the choices I make and choices I do not make based on conviction, premise and understanding; the lost opportunity from lack of faith; the expected prosperity? from obedience; the despair for inaction in the quest or call of the unknown; the appeal to an active faith, attaining the impossible with God in Whom all things are possible; it is listening to the still, small voice speaking within the cacophony of sound and distraction prevalent in this world; it is finding peace whether dreams, aspirations, fears or monsters are encountered.

I hold to life too endearingly, grasping for significance and value while forfeiting the future. I amortize my future condescending to the worth of the present. I strive for the answers to the burdens on my heart, and yet, kowtow to the pressures and immediacy of my current circumstance. I have made my bed and subsequently I lie with my own demons of failure and discomfort. I devalue this Christian life as the abstract phrasing of God communicating His Word to the world. I resolve this existence with a shrug of the shoulders and proclaim ‘this is God’s will’ and 'all things work for good' and call it 'life', merely existing between birth and death. I placate my soul with these coined expressions and invoke the Word of God to substantiate my inactive faith and atheistic belief in ‘God Who will not’. I would rather be captive to my fear than 'live' with the consequence of falling into the hands of a God Who would throw me into the storm-beaten boat, and in this I may never understand the love of God, the random, unmanageable, uncontainable God, Who is nothing if He is not LOVE. I forget that "(My) spiritual life is upheld by His grace, as constantly as (my) natural life by His providence." I decline my birthright as a child of God to request from my Father-God those things which would please my heart; I renounce my freedom to act upon my desires and dreams; I deny myself joy and adventure believing they do not express the delight of my Father-God for His child and in that, fail to allow His love to reflect upon me. I condone my paltry existence as a sacrifice to the whims of folly and hardship never understanding the love of the Father for a child, never moving beyond the possible. I believe an untruth, that God is not a God of 'I will'.

Jeremiah 29:5-7 (NKJV) Build houses and dwell in them; plant gardens and eat their fruit. Take wives and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, so that they may bear sons and daughters -- that you may be increased there, and not diminished. And seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you will have peace.

Jeremiah 24:6-7 (NKJV)
For I will set My eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land; I will build them and not pull them down, and I will plant them and not pluck them up. Then I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God, for they shall return to Me with their whole heart.


Jeremiah 29:11-14 (NKJV) For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says the Lord, and I will bring you to the place from which I cause you to be carried away captive.

Jeremiah 32:27 (NKJV) "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything to hard for Me?


Jeremiah 32:37-42 (NKJV)
Behold, I will gather them out of all countries where I have driven them in My anger, in My fury, and in great wrath; I will bring them back to this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely. They shall be My people, and I will be their God; then I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me forever, for the good of them and their children after them. And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me. Yes, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will assuredly plant them in this land, with all My heart and with all My soul.' For thus says the Lord: 'Just as I have brought all this great calamity on this people, so I will bring on them all the good that I have promised them.

Jeremiah 33:6-8 (NKJV)
Behold, I will bring it health and healing; I will heal them and reveal to them the abundance of peace and truth. And I will cause the captives of Judah and the captives of Israel to return, and will rebuild those places as at the first. I will cleanse them from all their iniquity by which they have sinned against Me, and I will pardon all their iniquities by which they have sinned and by which they have transgressed against Me.

Isaiah 41:17-19 (NKJV)
"The poor and needy seek water, but there is none,
Their tongues fail for thirst.
I, the Lord, will hear them;
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.
I will open rivers in desolate heights,
And fountains in the midst of the valleys;
I will make the wilderness a pool of water,
And the dry land springs of water.
I will plant in the wilderness the cedar and the acacia tree,
The myrtle and the oil tree;
I will set in the desert the cypress tree and the pine
And the box tree together,

Isaiah 43:19 (NKJV)
Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert.

Isaiah 45:2-3 (NKJV)
'I will go before you
And make the crooked places straight;
I will break in pieces the gates of bronze
And cut the bars of iron.
I will give you the treasures of darkness
And hidden riches of secret places,
That you may know that I, the Lord,
Who call you by your name,
Am the God of Israel.

Isaiah 46:4 (NKJV)
Even to your old age, I am He,
And even to gray hairs I will carry you!
I have made, and I will bear;
Even I will carry, and I will deliver you.


"God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Can you relate?

No comments: