Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Not Philosophy, Just Questions


Metaphysics; the branch of philosophy which studies fundamental principles intended to describe or explain all that is, and which are not themselves explained by anything more fundamental; the study of first principles; the study of being insofar as it is being (ens in quantum ens).
Epistemology; the branch of philosophy dealing with the study of knowledge; theory of knowledge.

The answer lies in the 'question'. Jesus said, "...if I have set you free, then you shall be free indeed." Free from what? What do I need to be free from? "...and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

Freedom is an aspect of life allowing movement, in the context of Jesus' statement the freedom was from sin and the bondage's developed from that sin. In my most recent of history I have discovered that I am a slave as well. This is not a new revelation but a reaffirming statement of life as we know it in this country. I am and probably always will be an economic unit, inextricably tied to a culture that requires that I perform and live a life striving for the success and significance of the norm. At various staged in my life I have not been a willing participant, at other times I have acquiesced.

It is when life takes the greatest of turns that I search. The questions always come, and they seem to be the same questions, For what purpose did this have to happen? Where does sin or obedience lie in this situation? Is God still holding me? or is He allowing? The questions are the wrong ones.

I am beginning to like the question, What is the good life?

One of my all time favorite songs is by the Edgar Winter Group called Free Ride.
The lyrics are not Christian probably more new age than anything, but the gist of the song is laying the cares or concerns of life aside and enjoying life for the experience. God says come and take a free ride, the mountains are high the valleys are low, but I have provided a way to the promised land. Nobody is winning at this game nor is there a victory to be achieved in a life dedicated to the pursuit of earthly gain. There is a place for my life to be lived out as a producer of seed, a sower of fruit, a harvester.

It seems lately that more questions have arisen than answers; What do I want from life? What do I wish to achieve? What is my significance? Who am I?

Our desire to identify ourselves by the things of life, whatever they may be, is an inherent value of this culture that crosses the spiritual delineation of the inner life and creates as a by-product of our existence a person in culture without the persona of a God-created being living in the freedom of a life directed and focused on the greater aspects of existence.
Another question, To what has God called me?
I am trying to express a thought that the intent of life should be in communion with God as a pattern of life without the trappings of society clinging to and ensnaring the physical, mental and emotional body of the believer.
Another question, Is this a reality?
The greater things in life have to be defined. The Westminster Catechism asks "What is the chief and highest end of man?" The answer, " Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully enjoy Him forever."
Glorify means to exalt, extol or praise, to lift up to a place of prominence.
Enjoy means to receive pleasure or satisfaction, to accept favourably, to delight in, goodness, bounty, to use, to begin, to associate, to continue, all these are words that are translated enjoy in various Bible translations.There lies in the concept of how these words are used that enjoy is a view to life based on a reference point determining the direction of that life. A focal point on the horizon of reality. The beauty of life is expressed fully through the enjoyment of the circumstances and the relationships developed along the way. All the words denote a favourable tone or quality to life.

Fundamental to life's pursuit is freedom, it is elemental in the heart of man, it is the tyranny that we would desire in order to achieve this goal, it brings out the best and the worst in men in its pursuit, it would be the thing for which all would be given to have, the false pearl, the apple. We see ad campaigns promoting Freedom 55 and the further opportunities to at last be free from the tyranny of striving for financial wealth and realizing the goal of freedom from the oppressiveness of work and the final enjoyment of life without the strictures of daily labour.
Another question, Is that true freedom?
Martin Luther King is his famous address at the Washington Memorial said eloquently in referring to the future in paradise, "Free at last, free at last, Praise God! I'm free at last."
Another question, Do I have to wait that long? Is there not freedom in this life?

Jesus spoke of the truth setting free, He speaks of the power of sin and those shackles being lifted and not to lessen the import of this application of truth, but (the inevitable but) there must lie within this application something of the 'good life' experienced. To borrow from someone else, Acts 28:31 says of Paul that he preached the kingdom of God and taught the things concerning Jesus Christ.
Another question, What does the Kingdom of God look like in me?
What is different about my life that declares the Kingdom of God is being lived out in me? Should I not have freedoms as a possesor, inhabitant and citizen?

I understand life lived in tension or balance dependant upon your slant, however, I realize that life is to be a journey of faith with the goal of exhibiting something of note, declaring the reality of another Kingdom's rule in my life. In that context freedom or it's pursuit, or the recognition of the greater values of life must be unmuddled from the other pursuits which devalue that which is the highest.

Let freedom reign!

No comments: