Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Philosophy?


I have been challenged in my thinking to examine the hows? and wherefores? of my faith. Those of you who know me personally, have realized that I do not think, rationalize or relate to topics of faith, life and circumstance in ways which may be considered normal. This last year as I have been blogging and because of that putting of thoughts in public domain, I have become diagnostic of my approaches to the aforementioned areas. It is of exceptional interest that as I have searched for clarity (via the Internet,books) that people have been introduced into my life who's thinking and observations of the faith-life run parallel to this investigation. God is always working the seemingly impossible, molding, shaping, changing and affirming in my life that search.

My search currently has lead me to an examination of the philosophical nature of reasoning. Reason deals with the conception, discerning and intuitive faculties of thought. Philosophy deals with reason in determining the proper line of thought or argument in order to define a precept, clear and fair deductions from true principles that govern the common relationships of man with each other and with God. Philosophy has as a starting point an understanding that the principles are known to all and to each and from that point rationalization, deduction and application can be made (per se vs. per alia).

Theology has in contrast a starting point based on faith. Truth as an assumption of belief is founded on principles contained in the Bible, and its authority. Interrelations of principles are founded and expanded upon from these unerring truths.

The difference for me is blended and definitive, there lies in the two thought processes a tension and a resolution. Saint Thomas Aquinas states, '...the believer and the philosopher consider creatures differently. The philosopher considers what belongs to their proper natures, while the believer considers only what is true insofar as they are related to God...' and further '... it should be noted that different ways of knowing (ratio cognoscibilis) give us different sciences.' Inherent in creation is the glory of the creation for its purpose, as well inherent in the creation is the purpose for the glorifying of God. Romans 1:20,21a'...for since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God,...' A friend of mine says there are constants which exist and they are truth, beauty and love and these attributes although variable in their nuances are unchanging in that they are representative of God incarnate. My friend says further (
http://penseethoughts.blogspot.com/) '... the world today lacks confidence in the possibility of reason to know the truth, and in the possibility of true love.'

There is within me a response to this and other philosophical thought, a cry of the heart for greater understanding, a resonating of my soul which at this time is beyond my comprehension and knowledge. The ability to wrap my head around some of these discussions is not available to me at this time, however, I am going to strive to attain that for which my heart cries out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! John and John together!?!?! I can see the steam rising from all that thought/discussion process. You won't have people eavesdropping because they will get stuck on all the verbosity and depth. Glad you both have found someone you can "stretch with" philosophically and spiritually - and hopefully walk you deeper and deeper into God's goodness and purposes and Himself . Jill

Pensive said...

I have responded to your blog at:
http://penseethoughts.blogspot.com/

Congratulations on your new found freedom.