Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, January 06, 2007

S+T+R+E+S+S=


Stress = the internal distribution of force (pressure) within a body reacting to applied forces which causes strain or deformation - the reaction which tries to keep the body (mind & soul) in equilibrium
The pressures of life in terms of time, demands, etc. make us weary on the journey, sapping our vitality creating sickness and pain. Rest and peace are aspects of life which have seemed to disappear. Emphasis on success, security, survival all important factors of life have been distorted to the degree that the pursuit of health, wealth and happiness is destroying lives in the process. We ask ourselves just how much are we to do?? Yet in the midst of this chaos there is the intervening of peace. We only have to look for it and allow it to find us. Much the same as God saying 'draw near to me and I will draw near to you'
Col. 3:15, '...and let the peace that comes from Christ rule (preside, have authority, govern, act decisively)in your hearts'. It would be nice to live in a vacuum, free from the pressure, the currents, the friction, placed in a position of constancy, without flow or movement. It has been proven by experiment that trees grown in this kind of environment not only grow in distortion but have no resilient strength and fall over under the weight of their own existence. There is no teaching of the need for sternness in the reality of life without the occurrence of adversity and trial. Winds and currents require equal and greater efforts to resist, successfully. God uses the circumstances of life's existence to build in us the vigor to withstand.
There is an aspect of finding strength in the Lord that requires courage and fortitude, 'waxing valiant in the fight' refusing to succumb to the pressures and expectations of culture and society, standing fast in the strength of the Lord. It is during the storm that the captain of the vessel takes the helm, it is in the heat of battle that the valiant are at the forefront of the conflict, that the battle-tested veterans lead, it is in the battle the temper of the sword's steel is tested.
There is also an aspect of waiting. God provides in measure, ...'pressed down'... for our health and well-being. Patience on the path lends itself to rest and repose, God provides the opportunities for his people to be refreshed. Sanctuary is to be found in home, church and sabbath. Amid the noise and bustle there are these intersections, where we must stop, at those junctions may we find the moments to restore and recharge.

Psalms 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I Will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


No comments: