Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Giftedeness


What presumption to suppose that the way I see things are as they are in the eyes of God. It is difficult for me to suppose that God would give, and yet it is clearly spoken by God that He does give, and in abundance. The question comes why should I be worthy and why should I presume that God will use me?
I specifically refer to leadership, Why should I be deserving of the gift or the opportunity? Why should I believe that I have something of significance to be offered in God's service that would bring him glory and honour? Why should I believe that God would choose me to use for his glory? Am I David, Samuel, Samson, Elijah, that God would see in me a man who's heart is breaking for the glory of his name? yet struggling under the weight of my own desires. With or without humility (an issue of the sieve) there always remains the question of an accurate understanding of my positioning in God's plan and acceptance by faith that I am a part, functioning and effective, of God's purpose.The last year has really forced me to think again about my desires for serving God in the areas that I always believed were where I was gifted. Now the question comes, do I really see reality as God intended for me to see? Is what I believe about myself true or am I forecasting into my life, my dreams and aspirations for significance (sieve time again). What if any of what I believe is invented? 1 Cor. 14:37, 'If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual,...'
'If anyone thinks...', to seem to one's self, to be of the opinion, to suppose, believe, to regard or believe to be endowed. Does this speak of confidence? Does this speak to the question of humility in service? Does this address the issue of the believer's faith that the calling is sure?
2 Cor. 10:7 Do you look at things according to the outward appearance? If anyone has confidence in himself...A stark identification of those who seek self-aggrandizement and not the edification of believers.
1 Sam. 24:14,'After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dog? a flea?' 1 Sam. 26:20.'...for the king has come out to seek a flea, as when one hunts a partridge...'
David the chosen king of Israel is calling himself the dog and the flea spoken of here. What was David that he deserved such an effort and expense by the king to subdue? Dogs and fleas were worthless, of no account, they flew under the radar of the people. There is an indication that David understood his place in history, his position in terms of providing leadership for his nation, his sense of God's timing, his faith that God was working out the best for himself, his calling. It would be nice to have a Samuel come along once and a while, and clearly identify the leaders and clarify the calling, set the agenda. Would not that event empower leadership? provide...?
Empowerment, permission, confidence, assurance, certainty, all these words come to mind... and the bells went off... What was just created? What was just done in the heart of a man who knows he has authority? What accountability to authority given with absolute certitude? The possibilities for the abuse of such surety looms large and ominous. Maybe for a time humility would persevere, but what of...
The strength of David's leadership is discovered, he is not power-hungry, nor motivated by the quest for significance. Truly a 'man after God's own heart, must be humble. (may be a redundant statement?) David sought the best for his people, just as God desires the best for not only myself, but those whom I serve as a leader(??). Better to be a Moabite and/or eat the scraps from the Master's table, than to secure a position without affinity for the Giver. Better to be unsure and treading softly with care, better the uncertainty. Real leadership is based on the respect of people and their willingness to accept that leadership (another sieve issue).
Paul states that if any are spiritual that they should acknowledge him as one who has the right to be heard, listened to as one who has been given authority, not as one who speaks based on his own merit but as one who speaks by the authority of God. My prayer is that there is some recognition of God's working through me that is evident, otherwise all is vanity.
Andrew Murray states, "...I am sure of this, that a man's gifts are not the measure of his real power. I am sure of this, that God can see what neither you nor I can see. Sometimes people feel something of it; but in proportion as a man has in reality, not as a sentiment or an aspiration, or a thought, but in reality, the very spirit and presence of Jesus upon him, there comes out from him an unseen silent influence. That secret influence is the holy presence of Jesus."

No comments: