Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Defined by Definition


I love definitions, I find they provide clarity of thought, they provide direction, they enhance ideas with nuances and insights into the foundation of the words, and thereby the intent of authors to accurately portray a concept, belief or theme.
I hesitate to use labels for the very same reason, being identified as a Sanguine, or an Otter, Bear, Lion, or Skunk (more apt for me than any other) places people in a position whereby their actions, thoughts and motivations are being determined by a predetermined definition. Expectations are that certain behaviours will occur by strength of definition. To some degree these definitions are accurate, but only in a general sense much like astrology. Generalization creates ambiguity. The reality of life is that behaviour and genetics and environment are all factors involved in the process of developing each personhood. The intervention of God in any or all aspects of life will blow out any of the determinants previously mentioned. It is in this reality that I choose to identify myself. As Paul says, ' To the weak I became as weak, I have become all things to all men, ... I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.' (1 Cor. 9:22) The surrender of my will, my life, my way, my own pleasure, my own ease, my own profit with a view to an end that sees the glory and honour of God as my first priority, lends itself to the advancement of Christ in me, and by that the use of me by God in His work.
It is within that context that I view this opportunity to blog and in the near future, speak.
It is within this context that I found the following definition of interest... "Essayists are humans who stick their nose out and sometimes their neck ... each sticks out his or her mind and scratches down some thoughts on paper... instead of leading you along a logical argument they lead you to their study or their back porch for a conversation and often you disagree. This way you get to hear their ideas and get to know them personally. This is what essayists do, ... Which is the point of essayists: they write about more particular matters ... and they wander from one author and idea to another and they don't always land on their feet and they don't always have an argument. They are ruminative and suggestive and provocative, and they lead you to the authors they mention, and sometimes they get you fired up enough to write an essay on the same topic in your own way. ... it is formless and conclusion-less (more often than not) and just a stroll in the park with an idea and a conversation with a few whom you take along. ... What they also do is assume that their readers know all they know and maybe more, and this makes reading them sometimes difficult because they assume alot at times. ... (And essayists don't footnote for fear that the piece will get pedantic or for fear that such things will interrupt the flow of thought.) *Jesus Creed*

"Unless thought is valid, we have no reason to believe in the real universe." C.S.Lewis

1 comment:

Ron Baker said...

I always figured that writing was just another form of having coffee. But you don't have to be a scintillating conversationalist that has a quick answer. You can take your time to reply to an author, and in that way the conversation (for some of us who are slower thinkers) is a bit more cogent and thoughtful.