Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Truth or Dare


The original intent of the title of this blog was something different than what it now has become. This is about my story, your story, our story. It is about truth. It is about being real and genuine. It is about character and integrity. It could very well be about dignity and depravity. It be about about the spin we put on our story, or the selective memory we have about the events that have formed our lives. It could be about hypocrisy, wearing a different mask, duplicity. It could be about softening the blows of existence or the dulling the significance of sin or failure or the whatevers of life for which we feel shame or remorse.
My story should be about honesty, and yet I hedge, I withhold, I fear, and to what end. The harm is solely upon me, and those with whom I fellowship. It serves no purpose to estrange myself from who I am and struggle with why people have no understanding of my intent or the reasons for my actions.
I must choose truth.
The truth can be viscous (yes, I mean thick & gummy), smelly, full of tension and liberating.
Truth assumes growth as a fruit of its existence in my life. Honesty creates opportunity for dissonance, misunderstanding and apprehension. Truth is a war-zone and honesty is a casualty.
1 Timothy 1:15 "Faithful is the word, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." This from Saul turned Paul, who understood truth at its most decrepit and despicable, the great blasphemer redeemed to become the great evangelist. Truth constantly as a memory in his life, that which he was in relation to what God had called him to become. It is in that context that I am approaching this matter of truth in my own life. More importantly how I am dealing with the who of who I am in relation to the who, who God wishes me to become. How am I dealing with the relationships that God has given me to nurture and respect as His gifts to me?
Truth involves accuracy, aiming at the true mark, attaining to the more honorable goal, respecting the dignity of the person, yet knowing that the working of the mind and the soul may be at cross purposes to the intent of the person. It is in this understanding that true community is built. In a word integrity and accountability.
Truth involves dialogue, not discussion (sharing ideas on a topic), not debate (swaying opinion), but the desire to work out the reality of differing viewpoints and biases, being challenged and questioned to test our motivations, to assess our decisions, to draw back from fear and to see faith released. Truth initiated creates chaos and confusion, dialogue seeks to instill discernment and collaboration.
Truth requires, screams for, can not do without, love. Love that trusts, respects, acknowledges depravity, is willing to understand memory, seeks the wholeness of the person, gives due regard for the story. The story must be accepted regardless of its being palatable.
The challenge is there to be transparent, real, sharing life together, trusting. The story is mine to tell, God gives us free choice in that regard, the orchestration of that story is His to determine, I am glad I have no choice in that regard.

No comments: