Dabar [theme]

He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou find refuge: His truth is a shield and buckler
Psalms 91:4

Be it ours,when we cannot see the face of God, to trust under the shadow of His wings. C.H. Spugeon

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Promises, Promises


I had full intentions of moving away from the discussion of faith and dwelling on an aside topic of close proximity, promise. The topic of promise lends itself well to faith, for the obvious reasons, (faith is based on promise) but also for the clarification of why it is reasonable to believe.
God refers to Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I have always found it disconcerting that Issac never really came to any level of notoriety, except as the son of Abraham and the father of Jacob. There was that little issue up on the mountain with his dad. I mentioned before that one of the issues of faith is what is my Isaac, that which must be offered for sacrifice without regard for the consequences of the loss or gain from the sacrifice. The real worth of God's promises cannot be lessened to a believer by any cross providences that may befall him, in effect 'if God be for me. who can be against me' or if I am where God would have me to be, then nothing but my own unbelief or distrust can prevent me from finding comfort. On the mountain we see faith, no doubt or delay, no hesitation or reluctance, instead we see 'he rose up early in the morning". There was no opposition from natural affection or unbelief. Faith moved over natural affection and self-will and bowed in absolute submission to the will of God, and the Father of Faith, Abraham learned something of God that he may have known partly, but now he knew perfectly, that God was Jehovah-Jireh, The Lord Who Provides. God has proportioned trials in my life in respect to my strength, I see the same thing happening in the lives of these three patriarchs, each has life circumstances (a famine) in which each is allowed or told how to react. It is only by passing through these trials that I have learned who God is - a God of grace, a God of sufficiency, a God of faithfulness. We can go anywhere with comfort and contentedness if we believe that God will do as He promises.
As far as sight is only seeing, so faith is only believing, the only thing necessary thing about seeing is, that you see the thing as it is, in the same way the only necessary thing about faith is the believing and believing the thing as it is. The virtue does not lie in the believing, but in the thing you believe. This is nothing tangible. it is simply believing God, and like sight it is nothing apart from its object.

No comments: